Although somewhat less popular than conventional asphalt shingle roofs, sheet metal roofs provide a viable option for residential and commercial property owners. Granted, installing these types of roofs will be more expensive than asphalt shingles, however, a metal roof offers home and business owners a number of longer-term benefits, such as:
- Durability – a much longer lifespan
- Better resilience in extreme weather climates
- Energy efficiency (summer and winter)
- Greater fire resistance
- Improved curb appeal and resale value
When a decision is made to install a sheet metal roof, property owners can select from several different types of metal. Pricing for these roofs will vary based on the choice of metal, along with the surface area to be covered and the pitch/slope of the roof, among other factors. In terms of the actual types/choices of metal, they will commonly include:
- Stainless steel
- Galvanized steel
- Stone-coated steel
Unfortunately, like essentially any other type of roofing material, a metal roof can develop leaks, especially if proper care and maintenance is either lacking or ignored. The most commonly-seen factors that contribute to roof leaks consist of:
- General decline in effectiveness and weather resistance over time
- Metal fasteners may loosen as well, allowing water to penetrate
Dirt accumulation in the seams
- Fine dirt and debris collects in and along metal seams
- Hardens into a mud-like seal after repeated exposure to rain and sun
- Some subsequent rain water eventually penetrates this mud seal
- This water cannot escape in the same way, hence leading to roof leaks
- Note: This tends to be a common reason for leaks in sheet metal roofs
- Improperly locked or inadequately-secured metal panels
- Ill-fitting or loosely-installed flashing around chimneys, vents, etc.
- From long-term exposure to seasonal/extreme weather conditions
- Metal finish may fail (i.e. rust), providing avenues for water access
- A result of constant expansion/contraction with temperature swings
- Fasteners may work loose or even become detached in some cases
In order to sustain and prolong both the efficiency and lifespan of sheet metal roofs for as long as possible, appropriate care and maintenance practices must be implemented on a regular basis. Certified metal roofing installers, like Avenue Road Roofing, fully understand the importance of proper maintenance for sheet metal roofs and in turn can provide the level of attention/care required to prevent leaks in this type of roof and avoid unnecessary expenses.
Inspect Your Sheet Metal Roof To Identify And Repair Possible Or Actual Leaks
Avenue Road Roofing has provided roof installation and repair services for residential and commercial property owners throughout Toronto and the GTA for the last 40+ years. Our crews have extensive experience in successfully identified and repairing roof leaks seen in all types of roofing materials, ranging from traditional asphalt shingles to sheet metal roofs of various compositions.
In addition to addressing leaks with a metal roof, Avenue Road Roofing offers the following range of services relative to metal and all other types of roofing materials:
- Other repairs
If you suspect or have evidence of leaks in your metal roof, call our technicians at Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 or contact us to arrange a complete roof inspection as soon as possible to prevent any further and/or extensive damage.