Some Types of Roof Repairs Should Be Left in the Hands of Roofing Companies
Some homeowners may prefer to handle their own repairs or maintenance needs about their properties. In some cases, this may be related to budgetary considerations while others may simply have the knack and/or the inclination for such types of projects.
There are times, however, when discretion might be the better part of valour and some repairs may best be left to professional contractors/companies that specialize in certain services. Examples might include circumstances where personal safety may be an issue, such as roofing or electrical, or cases where a project proves to be a bit overwhelming, like installing a new roof, new gutters, or aluminum siding.
Whenever someone climbs and/or works on a ladder, safety is an obvious concern. Add the aspect of working on a sloped surface and it becomes evident why roof repairs are typically not do-it-yourself tasks. While some homeowners may have the confidence to walk around the roof and re-secure a few shingles or re-caulk a skylight, there are cases that should be deferred to the expertise of certified roofing companies, like Avenue Road Roofing.
Examples of roof repairs that should be performed by roofing companies will include:
- Major damage (holes or cracks) resulting from flying debris
- Ice dam formation along the edges or the eaves of the roof
- Water pooling (usually with flat roofs and/or behind ice dams)
- Large sections of broken or split shingles/tiles (storm damage)
- Shrinkage of the membrane located under the shingles or tiles
While all of the above, and other similar roof issues, will lead to leaks and ensuing water damage, the magnitude and critical nature of the repairs extend well beyond the scope of do-it-yourself efforts. Should homeowners attempt these types of roof repairs, they may be in jeopardy of the following dangers or consequences:
- Risk of personal injury
- Repeatedly climbing and descending a ladder (with or without toting heavy materials and equipment), along with walking about a pitched surface and working without suitable safety gear, all present significant risks or threats
- Inadequate or improper repairs
- May result in subsequent structural, safety, or home insurance issues
- Invalidated warranties
- Do-it-yourself roof installation/repairs may nullify manufacturer coverage for defective materials, and will of course remove any warranties on labour
- Use of lower quality materials
- Roofing companies have access to superior materials than goods that are commercially-available
In contrast, engaging the services of roofing companies like Avenue Road Roofing to perform major roof repairs will provide homeowners with the following list of benefits:
- Eliminating the risks of serious personal injury
- Experienced acumen and expert workmanship
- Faster and more efficient roof or leak repairs
- Reduced potential of recurring/additional issues
- The applicability of any/all warranties is retained
- Better quality of materials – at a reasonable cost
- Professionals carry liability and workplace insurance
Although do-it-yourself roof repairs might seem like a more cost-effective approach, there are circumstances when it may be prudent to engage the services of professional roofing companies, such as Avenue Road Roofing. Investing a little more ‘upfront’ money can pay significant short-term and long-term returns, not only financially but also from the perspective of personal safety.
Get Comprehensive Roof Repairs from One of Toronto’s Top Roofing Companies
As one of the leading roofing companies in Toronto, Avenue Road Roofing has been providing expert roof installations and repairs for residential and commercial property owners for more than 40 years.
Avenue Road Roofing has the experience and expertise to address all types of roof damage, from leaks and shingle-related issues to more comprehensive repairs resulting from:
- Major storm damage
- Structural faults
- Exterior masonry issues
- Flat roof membrane failures
- And more
When property owners are faced with major roof issues, they can trust the technicians from Avenue Road Roofing to:
- Respond promptly
- Diagnose accurately
- Recommend solutions
- Perform reliable repairs
For more information on the range of roof repairs offered by Avenue Road Roofing, click here.
Are you facing a major roof issue like those described above? For professional repairs, call Avenue Road Roofing, one of the leading roofing companies in Toronto and the GTA. Call Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 or contact us to schedule an inspection as soon as possible.