There Are Several Factors That Can Influence the Need for Masonry Repairs
There is a certain degree of stateliness that is often associated with any aspect of brick construction. Walls, chimneys, porches, and, of course, complete exteriors that are built with bricks present an aura of strength, endurance or longevity, impenetrability, and, in many cases, the hankering for a previous era when buildings were constructed to last for several generations.
This is particularly true when bricks, customarily manufactured from clay, are burned or fired in an oven to make them hardened and more durable. Unfortunately, like the vast majority of construction materials, brick does not last forever, as even the strongest of these pieces will be subject to deterioration over time.
Just how long brick will last or, conversely, when it will deteriorate/begin to weaken, will be dependent on any number of factors, including:
- Quality of the brick
- Quality of the mortar
- Quality of the installation
- Water or frost penetration
- Sandblasting cleaning actions
- Settling/shifting of the structure
- Repeated exposure to vibrations
- Exposure to extreme temperatures
- Rising damp (absorption of ground water)
- Impact damage (accidental or intentional)
In turn, the resulting damage from these influences can be manifested or demonstrated in many ways. Structural impairment might appear as one or more of the following:
- Loose or missing bricks and/or mortar
- Leaks/water penetration in a foundation
- Cracks – in the bricks or along the mortar
- Diagonal or stair-stepped cracks near corners
- Spalling – flaking or crumbling of the outer layer
- Bowing, bulging, or buckling (usually external walls)
Should any of these signs be readily apparent to a homeowner, it will be incumbent upon them to have the situation rectified before any further damage occurs to the integrity of the wall or structure. In such instances, homeowners can call upon the expert masonry services offered by Avenue Road Roofing.
The masonry specialists from Avenue Road Roofing can complete the necessary masonry or chimney repairs with the skill and expertise needed to return integrity and appearance to exceptional levels; included in such masonry services is a concerted effort to closely match any/all new bricks and mortar with the colours/textures of the existing materials.
A Comprehensive Scope of Masonry Services for Your Building Envelope
Quite often, masonry repairs may be needed as a direct result of water penetration from roof leaks or other related roof damage. Such circumstances would include repairs to an external wall, a chimney, or the foundation of residential or commercial properties. It is not, however, a foregone conclusion that any masonry-related issue is attributable to a roof-related issue.
As noted above, there are many different factors that can contribute to the deterioration or weakening of brick construction; independent of the cause, the Avenue Road Roofing team can address any and all masonry repair issues/needs associated with the building envelope. Specific types of masonry services provided by Avenue Road Roofing include:
- Brick replacement
- Foundation waterproofing
- Chimney repairs or rebuilds
- Parapet wall construction/repair
- Fireplace construction or repairs
- Repair of window sill (brick or stone)
- Formed concrete porches, stairs, walkways, walls
- Tuck-pointing and repointing (mortar joint repairs)
It is unavoidable that bricks will deteriorate over time. If you notice any signs of defect or weakening in any brick structures/construction in your home or commercial property, call the masonry repairs experts from Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 to request the services of our masonry division at your earliest convenience.