Reasons to Make Sure There is Sufficient Roof Ventilation in Your Home
When a residential roof is performing as expected, it will effectively protect the home, its contents, and its occupants against the various seasonal weather conditions experienced throughout Toronto and the surrounding area. It therefore follows logically that proper installation by a qualified contractor plays a vital role in assuring that a roof ventilation & functions at a satisfactory level.
To the outside observer, proper residential roof installation might appear to be as simple as establishing the correct pitch/slope based on the construction blueprints then securely fastening the roof deck and the shingles. However, another highly important aspect of roof installation, and one that does not immediately come to mind for most homeowners, is ensuring that there is a sufficient amount of roof ventilation and attic ventilation.
In the simplest terms, ventilation is the continual flow of air throughout a space or area, achieved via a system of intake and outflow or exhaust outlets (vents); the efficiency of roof and attic ventilation is dependent on establishing a balance between the amount of air that enters and exits the space.
There are several problems that can arise, at different times of the year, if a home does not have adequate roof ventilation and attic ventilation; these issues can include:
- Shingle damage (cracking, curling)
- Mold and mildew growth in the attic
- Rotting of the roof deck and supports
- Condensation/frost formation in the attic
- Poor energy efficiency/increased utility costs
- Ice dam formation along roof edges and gutters
Therefore, it is imperative that knowledgeable and skilled roofers, like the professionals at Avenue Road Roofing in Toronto, install residential roofing with appropriately balanced ventilation; in turn, homeowners can realize a substantial number of benefits such as the following:
- Extending the lifecycle of the roof
- Preserving the structural integrity of the roof
- More efficient cooling in the warmer/summer months
- Year-round comfort due to moderation of indoor temperatures
- Preventing needless shingle damage and repair/replacement costs
- Inhibition of water damage to the home, roofing system, attic insulation, etc.
- Maintaining valid shingle warranties based on manufacturer installation specifications
Although the air intake and exhaust vents might not be as obvious or noticeable as other components of the roof system (shingles, gutters, flashing), proper installation of these vents will create the level of ventilation required to prevent extensive/expensive damage to the home and to the homeowner’s pocketbook.
Comprehensive Roof Inspections to Assess Attic Air Flow and Ventilation Levels
If homeowners are experiencing/have evidence of one or more of the seasonal roofing issues described above, it may very well be a result of poor roof and/or attic ventilation. A comprehensive roof inspection by the trained specialists from Avenue Road Roofing will determine the source of the air flow/ventilation problem as well as any/all steps required to rectify the situation.
Some of the critical aspects of roof/attic ventilation to be assessed during the inspection and, if needed, subsequently addressed by the Avenue Road Roofing experts can include but are not limited to:
- Correct positioning of the intake and exhaust vents
- Proper ratio of these vents – should be a 50/50 split
- Certifying that the exhaust vents are all the same style
- Ensuring that the right vents are installed for a sloped roof
- Ensuring that the right number of vents have been installed
For more information on the complete range of roof and attic ventilation services offered by the knowledgeable roofers at Avenue Road Roofing, including air flow inspections, go to attic ventilation.
With over 40 years of roofing experience in Toronto and the surrounding area, including more than 45,000 roof installations, Avenue Road Roofing would be the ideal contractor for homeowners who want to make sure that they have adequate roof ventilation in their home. Call the professionals from Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 or contact us to schedule a complete roof and air flow inspection as soon as possible.