When the subject of a discussion turns to the topic of roofs, an image that usually comes to mind is one of sloped/peaked surfaces covered by shingles. However, not all roofing is sloped – many residential and commercial properties in Toronto have flat roofing, which in itself offers several distinct advantages.
Such advantages would include:
- Flat roofing is more cost-effective to build than sloped roofs
- A flat roof is easier to navigate for maintenance/repair work
- Energy efficiency – there is less interior space to heat or cool
- Multi-purpose use – for a deck, garden/green roof, recreation
On the other side of the ledger, property owners may find flat roofing to be problematic if an issue arises with respect to water pooling or standing water. While a sloped roof is clearly designed to deflect water and carry it away, water pooling may be present on a flat roof for one or more of the following reasons:
- Improper installation – no gentle/slight pitch for water run-off purposes
- Structure has settled/shifted slightly since the flat roofing was installed
- Roof edges do not have the proper taper/thickness for water to spill over
- Insufficient number of drain outlets installed in relation to surface area
- Drain outlets are blocked by an accumulation of leaves or other debris
The magnitude of flat roofing damage that can occur from pooled/standing water could encompass:
- Multiple leaks and resultant structural or interior problems
- Compromised roof integrity – rotting, sagging, or collapse
- Premature deterioration of seams in the roofing material
- Diminished reliability of waterproofing membranes
- Insect infestation (breeding ground for mosquitoes)
- Fungal growth resulting in lifting/separation of seams
To prevent extensive damage to a flat roof, and to avoid extensive repair costs, water pooling issues need to be identified and remedied as quickly and efficiently as possible. The services of a reputable roofing firm with extensive knowledge in flat roof repair would be a warranted and wise investment in this regard.
Consider A Roofing Contractor With Expertise And Experience In Flat Roof Repair
When property owners and/or managers need to pursue flat roof repair services from a Toronto roofing contractor, it will be important to bear in mind that not all roofing firms have the expertise and experience needed to address any such issues efficiently and effectively.
Avenue Road Roofing has the necessary expertise and experience in flat roof repair. As one of the leading roofing companies in Toronto since it was established in the early 1970s, Avenue Road Roofing has been satisfying the flat roofing needs of residential and commercial clients through a variety of professional services including:
- New flat roof installations
- Complete roof replacements
- Inspections and reports
- Issue diagnosis and recommended solutions
- Guaranteed repairs
- Maintenance programs
For all your flat roof requirements, including installation, inspection, maintenance, and repair, you can rely on the professionals at Avenue Road Roofing in Toronto. Call the Avenue Road Roofing specialists at 416-785-5129 or contact us to request your flat roof inspection and repair report today!