A Thorough Inspection Can Avoid Roof Repairs and Save You Money This Winter
Any type of structural damage to a home is much more than just an inconvenience; it is an additional and unplanned expense, often a rather significant dollar amount, and could result in the loss/ruin of personal possessions that cannot be replaced. Such situations that can be particularly problematic are damage to the roof and/or the foundation during the winter months.
It is somewhat surprising to many homeowners that natural elements like water, snow, and ice can have detrimental effects on the structural integrity of a residence. And yet each winter, there are numerous stories told of homeowners who were caught off-guard by extensive water damage to an area or areas of their home – not to mention upset by the costs of clean-up and repairs.
Damage from ice and snow that is allowed to accumulate on a roof during the winter can be wide-ranging, especially in Toronto and GTA due to the bitterly cold temperatures and the freeze-and-thaw cycles that are inherent to their winters. The water from partially-melted snow and ice needs somewhere to go, so to speak, while any hours of sunshine work at cross-purposes with home heating systems to create a potentially harmful layer of moisture between the snow and the surface of the roof.
Consequently, area homeowners may be faced with one or more of these issues that will need professional repair services from Avenue Road Roofing, one of the leading roofing companies in Toronto:
- Fallen/dislodged eavestroughs
- Wet/ineffective attic insulation
- Crumbling of exterior masonry
- Cracks or leaks in the foundation
- Damaged and/or displaced siding
- Weakened/rotted roof deck/rafters
- Leaks around the chimney/skylights
To avoid these types of roof and roof-related problems and the associated costs of their repairs, homeowners can take several preventative actions in the fall and during winter. Such measures would include:
- Clear the debris from all eavestroughs in the fall
- Make sure gutters/downspouts are firmly secured
- Ensure that the attic has proper insulation/ventilation
- Perform a complete inspection of the roofing surface
- Shingles – age, condition, stability
- Chimney – cap, caulking, masonry
- Caulking – flashing, vents, skylights
- Inspect siding/masonry, soffits/fascia, foundation, windows
- Trim overhanging tree branches away from rooftop, eaves
- Clear excessive snow/ice from rooftop throughout the winter
With respect to inspecting the roof structure and building envelope, some homeowners may prefer to use professional services, such as those provided by Avenue Road Roofing. This may be due to personal safety concerns and/or a desire to have these assessments done by specialists with the training and experience necessary to detect issues that may not be readily apparent to a less experienced observer.
Subsequently, should the need for any roof repairs or related restorations be identified, the Avenue Road Roofing crews can implement those measures as well, as a means of preventing more catastrophic and/or expensive repairs during the winter or next spring.
How a Roofing Company Can Improve Your Home’s Energy Efficiency in Winter
In addition to roof and building envelope inspections by the professionals from Avenue Road Roofing, Toronto homeowners can get some indication of the pending need for roof repairs through another type of inspection – that is, by scrutinizing trends in their energy consumption. Although many homeowners make lifestyle changes and take appropriate steps to conserve their energy use, they may be unaware that an under-performing roof can be a major source of heat loss during the winter months.
Factors that contribute to energy costs going through the roof (pun intended) could be:
- Loose or missing shingles
- Inadequate attic insulation
- Inadequate attic ventilation
- Weak areas in soffits/fascia
- Cracked or missing caulking
- Poorly installed/caulked siding
Avenue Road Roofing can address and repair all of the above and more through a roof inspection in the fall or, should the need arise, through the winter, to help homeowners save money on their heating bills – and to reduce the potential for more extensive and expensive roof repairs in the future as well.
If you suspect that there may be a structural or performance issue with your roof or the envelope of your home, call the roofing specialists from Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 to arrange for a comprehensive inspection that could help you save money this winter.