Installation of a Cedar Roof Could Be a More Cost-Effective Long-Term Option
In the home construction industry, the vast majority of building contractors routinely use asphalt shingles as their choice of roofing material. These shingles are comparatively easier to install than other types of materials, are generally less expensive, and have an average lifespan of approximately 20 years. Moreover, homeowners will typically choose this same material whenever their roof needs to be replaced.
However, in circumstances where homeowners can influence or select the type of roofing material to be installed, such as new/custom home construction or the replacement of an existing roof, they might want to consider a cedar roof as an alternative. Why? Because a roof constructed of cedar shingles offers several benefits over other options, including:
- A potential lifespan of 30 years or longer
- Resistance to decay (natural oils in the wood)
- Durability – cedar does not crack or split easily
- It is a more lightweight material vs other choices
- Insulating properties – year-round energy efficiency
- Sound absorbing properties – muffles noises/vibrations
- Protective properties – more resistant to the spread of fire
- Natural wood – provides enhanced aesthetics (curb appeal)
- Ability to withstand harsh weather conditions (wind, hail, sleet)
While this is a most impressive list of benefits, it will be important to provide a balanced perspective to assist homeowners in making an informed decision if they are considering a cedar roof installation. To that end, they should be aware of the following:
- Cedar roofs have a higher installation cost than asphalt shingle roofs
- Cedar needs an application of chemical preservatives every few years
- Leaves, debris, overhanging branches must be habitually cleared away
Of course, regular roof inspections and routine maintenance are recommended practices, independent of the type of roofing material, in order to preserve the integrity of the roof and optimize its performance. Bearing this in mind, the extensive list of advantages and the extended lifespan of a cedar roof may compensate for its higher installation cost and ultimately make this material a more cost-effective option over the long term.
Are Cedar Roof Shingles the Same as Cedar Shakes?
Although references to cedar shingles and cedar shakes are often used interchangeably when discussing this type of roofing material, they in fact have some subtle differences. The following comparison is offered to help distinguish their respective characteristics:
- Cedar Shingles
- Milled with more precision – usually sawn on both their face and back side
- Slightly thinner than shakes and tapered from the butt end to the front edge
- Usually installed in three layers to ensure a strong degree of weatherproofing
- Cedar Shakes
- Usually cleaved (by machine or by mallet and axe) from a block of cedar
- Consequently, their surfaces have greater irregularity than cedar shingles
- Require insertion of a layer (or layers) of felt paper to prevent water leaks
- Roofs made of cedar shakes tend to be more rugged or rustic in appearance
Professional Cedar Roof Installation by CSSB Approved Roofers in Toronto
Notwithstanding the choice of roofing material, the quality of workmanship devoted in its installation will undoubtedly have an impact on its performance as well as its longevity. In the case of cedar roofs however, this is amplified by the fact that all installations must be completed in accordance with both local building codes and rigid standards that have been established by the Canadian Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau (or CSSB).
Subsequent to the meticulous inspection of numerous cedar roof installations, the skilled roofers from Avenue Road Roofing in Toronto have been granted the prestigious status of CSSB Approved Installers, a distinction that has been bestowed on only a few selected roofing contractors in the Greater Toronto Area. Consequently, property owners looking to benefit from the longevity, functionality, and aesthetic appeal of a cedar roof can rest assured that their installation will be completed with the quality workmanship it deserves when it is installed by the certified cedar roofers at Avenue Road Roofing in Toronto.
For more information on cedar roof installation by the experts at Avenue Road Roofing check out our Cedar roof installation page.
Trust your cedar roof installation to the CSSB certified roofers at Avenue Road Roofing in Toronto. Call Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 or contact us to request a no-obligation quote on a cedar roof for your home.