For practical reasons, many builders will install asphalt shingles on the roofs of their new homes. Asphalt shingles are cost-effective, fundamentally quick-and-easy to install, and can last for as long as 20 to 25 years before the roofs need to be replaced. For the same reasons, homeowners will simply continue with asphalt shingles when replacement is needed, particularly when a new roof can be a major expense and its replacement is seldom by choice.
But there is a choice when replacing a roof and, short-term economics aside, this choice can be an exceptionally cost-effective and value-added option for the entire life of your home. This alternative is the installation of slate shingles, a time-tested material that has proven to be:
- Highly effective
- Aesthetically pleasing
Slate shingles and slate roofs have their detractors but these are often people who have never owned a home or business with a slate roof and who are merely repeating or reacting to assumptions and hearsay. In fact, they may be heard to say, incorrectly, that no roofing companies even work with slate shingles anymore because these roofs are just too difficult and too expensive to install.
For Avenue Road Roofing, this type of statement could not be farther from the truth. While some roofing companies may shy away from installing slate roofs, Avenue Road Roofing has the knowledge, expertise, and experience that have earned its reputation as the preferred choice for installing and restoring slate roofs in Toronto.
Slate shingles can dramatically enhance the look and longevity of roofs on many types of structures including:
- Residential properties
- Commercial buildings
- Historical and heritage buildings
Make An Informed Decision When Considering The Installation Of Slate Shingles
As would be the case when considering any major investment, the installation of slate shingles requires an in-depth investigation of costs and returns (or savings) from both a short-term and long-term perspective.
With this perspective in mind, the following summary of the advantages and potential disadvantages of slate roofs, better known as the pros and cons, may prove beneficial.
Advantages Of Slate Shingles And Slate Roofs
- Provides a truly aesthetic appeal
- Allows for flexibility in terms of colour, size, thickness, and pattern
- Life expectancy can be in excess of 100 years
- Able to withstand the extreme weather swings in Toronto
- Fireproofing is not a feature of asphalt shingles or wood shakes
- Slate roofs protect against external factors (fireworks, airborne embers/sparks)
- Slate shingles do not require replacement every 20-25 years
- Reduces the amount of waste produced by regular disposal of asphalt shingles
Prevents Unwanted Nuisances
- Impervious to infiltration by vermin or insects
- No potential for rot or mildew formation
Potential Disadvantages Of Slate Shingles And Slate Roofs
Requires Expert Installation
- Longevity and protective properties may be compromised if installed poorly
- Slate is significantly heavier than asphalt shingles or wood shakes
- Will need to inspect and likely reinforce roofing sub-structure to compensate
- Can be fragile and susceptible to damage from natural or human intervention
- Replacement can be challenging/difficult depending on the type/extent of damage
- Process requires nailing by hand only (no air guns) or the use of special barbs
- Also requires the use of copper (or stainless steel) nails and copper flashing
- A major investment – cost can be up to five times greater than asphalt shingles
Contemplating the replacement of your current roof with slate shingles? There can be a significant upside to such a change, from the point of view of a long-term investment and associated cost-savings, particularly if the installation is contracted to experienced and capable slate roof experts such as Avenue Road Roofing.
For professional advice and skilled installation of your slate shingles, call the slate roof specialists at Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 to book your free consultation or contact us to discuss how we can help transform the look of your home or office with slate shingles.