Slate Tiles Represent a Viable Alternative for New Roof Installations, Upgrades
Property owners having their roof replaced will often ask the roofing company to use the same type of material that is currently in place which, in a majority of cases, is asphalt shingles. These property owners need and want the roof replacement done as fast as possible and, barring any major reconstruction or structural repairs, asphalt shingles can be installed within one to two days depending on the area and the pitch of the roof – not to mention that they are usually the least expensive option too.
But just like the existing shingles that are being replaced, this new batch also has a finite lifetime, which in turn can be affected/shortened by factors such as:
- Quality of the materials
- Quality of the installation
- Attention to maintenance
- Weather conditions/extremes
Therefore, property owners/managers looking to extend the lifecycle of their roof, and to benefit from other significant, long-term returns on their investment, might be attracted to the many qualities of slate roofs. Considered to be perhaps the toughest/most robust of all roofing materials, slate tiles offer a wide range of advantages in contrast to other options such as asphalt shingles, wood shakes, metal roofs, and clay or concrete tiles.
Factors favouring slate tiles/shingles include the following:
- Longevity – slate roofing can last for as long as 100 years
- Strength – natural stone is hardier than man-made materials
- Non-combustible – slate shingles offer excellent fire protection
- Non-permeable – density makes slate resistant to water penetration
- Non-penetrable – highly impervious to mold, fungus, insect infiltration
- Cost-efficiencies – minimal maintenance; helps lower energy use/costs
- Degradation Resistance – able to withstand extreme weather conditions
- Aesthetic Appeal – offers a natural beauty, in a range of colours/textures
- Increased Resale Value – curb appeal, low maintenance, extended lifecycle
In fairness, it would also be important for property owners to balance the above benefits with the following considerations relative to the installation of slate roofing:
- Initial cost – estimated at four to five times that of traditional materials
- Weight – sub-structure of roof may need assessment and reinforcement
- Replacement tiles – locating a precise colour match could be a challenge
- Installation – requires intricate workmanship by an experienced contractor
Bearing in mind the initial expenditure for slate roofing, when compared to its longevity, durability, and overall return on investment, property owners may indeed find that these tiles/shingles represent a viable alternative for any roof replacements and/or upgrades.
Precise and Intricate Workmanship is Fundamental in Installing Slate Roofing
As noted previously, the installation of slate roofs requires precise and intricate skills on the part of the roofing contractor in order to deliver the immediate aesthetic appeal and long-term value that property owners expect/demand when they choose to make such an investment. Therefore, it will be vitally important to vet any/all roofing companies to ensure that they have the requisite experience with installing slate tiles/shingles before committing to a contract.
One such company is Avenue Road Roofing, a leader among Toronto roofing contractors for over 40 years. Within its extensive portfolio of more than 45,000 roof installations throughout Toronto and the GTA, Avenue Road Roofing has considerable experience and expertise with all aspects of slate roofs, including:
- Structural reinforcement
- Complete roof installations
- Tile repairs and replacements
- Heritage property restorations
- Related copper metalwork/trim
Looking for professional slate roofing installation or restoration services for your home or heritage property? Call the slate roof specialists from Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 to book a no-obligation consultation at your convenience.