Deciding on the Best Course of Action When Dealing with Flat Roof Damage
Commercial property owners and managers are continually faced with budget decisions, not only from the viewpoint of actual dollars in-and-out but also taking into consideration how their management of revenues and expenses might affect their tenants, clients, and visitors to their premises.
And with the rather substantial operating costs that can be associated with maintaining a commercial property/complex, these owners and managers should not be faulted if they looked for ways to stretch their financial plan as far as possible. Sometimes, there is no room for discussion with respect to what has to be done and the cost of that work; many times, however, the pros-and-cons of various options must be weighed to determine the best course of action.
One building maintenance line item that often falls into this latter category relates to the roofing system, particularly when there is a decision to be made on what to do if the roof is damaged – should it be repaired, recovered (with another layer of roofing material), or replaced entirely? Or can it possibly be coated to prolong its lifespan?
In a vast majority of these cases, the type of roofing in question is a flat roof; although it is designed to deliver long-term performance, flat roofing can be prone to many forms of damage just by the nature of its design; that damage can include but is not limited to:
- Seam separation
- Flashing separation
- Detached membranes
- Decomposition of top layer
- Natural damage (storm-related)
- Accidental damage (person-related)
The type and extent of the damage, property owner/manager preference for short-term or long-term solutions, pricing, and the reputation of the roofing contractor will have an effect on the explicit course of action. While the following are by no means set in stone, here are some guidelines to help in the decision-making process; they are offered by the flat roof installation, repair, and replacement professionals from Avenue Road Roofing, a leading roofing company in the Greater Toronto Area for more than 40 years:
- When to repair flat roofing
- To keep costs to a minimum
- To prolong the life of the roof
- The roofing system is well insulated
- The membrane remains in good condition
- The roof has not reached its life expectancy
- When to recover a flat roof
- The insulation is still in good condition
- Roof has not previously been recovered
- The membrane has met its lifecycle expectation
- If new or extended warranties might be available
- To minimize the amount of disruption or inconvenience
- When to replace a flat roof
- To improve the building’s energy efficiency
- To upgrade/capitalize on the latest technology
- There is extensive damage (25+% of the surface)
- Insulation has become wet or lost its effectiveness
- If the owner/manager prefers a longer-term solution
- When to coat flat roofing
- To extend the lifespan of the roof
- To guard against the need for roof leak repair
- To minimize the degree of disruption/inconvenience
- To improve energy efficiency and/or occupant comfort
- If the owner/manager is looking for a cost-effective solution
Another important factor in determining the most appropriate course of action will be the recommendation of a Toronto roofing company with considerable flat roofing experience, such as Avenue Road Roofing, subsequent to a comprehensive roof inspection. Based on their extensive expertise with how to install, repair, or replace a flat roof, the specialists at Avenue Road Roofing can competently assess the extent of the damage and suggest the best solution to optimize the performance of the roof and the financial investment.
A Skilled Roofing Contractor for All Your Flat Roof Installation or Repair Needs
When the flat roofing of a commercial property in the Greater Toronto Area suffers some degree of damage, the owners/managers of these buildings can rely on the expertise of a certified roofing contractor like Avenue Road Roofing. With more than 40 years of flat roof installation, repair, and replacement experience, the Avenue Road Roofing team will provide reliable and knowledgeable service from uncomplicated replacements of flat roof flashing to entirely new roofing installations.
Visit our Flat Roofing Repairs page for additional information on the flat roof installation, repair, and replacement services offered by the experts at Avenue Road Roofing in Toronto.
Looking for an experienced flat roofer in Toronto to resolve a new or lingering problem with your commercial flat roof? To ensure that your roof issue is properly identified and addressed, Call the professionals from Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 or Contact us to schedule an onsite inspection as soon as possible.