Flat roofs, like all other roofing systems, typically last longer when properly maintained. Regular inspections and roof maintenance can help detect and take care of small issues before they turn into expensive repair or replacement jobs.
Key Aspects Of Flat Roof Maintenance:
- Check for blocked interior or exterior roof drains. This affects water, melted snow and ice drainage, which could lead to ponding and roof leaks. If you have had water accumulation and ice damming issues previously, chances are it can happen again. Regular cleaning will reduce your risk.
- Check and re-seal metal flashings. Snow and ice remain on your roof the longest. You must have measures in place to prevent water from getting underneath and causing roof leaks.
- Check the integrity of the waterproofing membrane. It protects your roof from leaks and dampness.
- Add gravel in Built-Up Tar and Gravel (BUR) systems where wind scour may have eroded gravel over time.
- Check for holes, cracks and open seams as well as spongy areas that can be caused by ponding and blistering.
- Check joints, fasteners and felt movement. Ridging can occur if the roof membrane was not attached properly. Fasteners can also become loose owing to water saturation or because they are not long enough. Excessive heat may cause felt layers to move.
- Check roof penetrations (e.g. chimneys, vents, skylights and duct pipes) for dirt and debris as well as stability. High winds, rust and other causes can loosen roof penetrations leading to leaks and other problems. Flat roofs are particularly vulnerable to problems such as ponding. In winter, one of the consequences of poor drainage is snow and ice accumulation, which can lead to roof collapse. Proper flat roof maintenance, by a skilled professional, can help prevent such problems as well as extend the life of your roofing system.
Avenue Road Roofing offers skilled flat roof maintenance and repair services for the GTA. Our courteous and experienced representatives are trained to evaluate and provide our clients with cost effective solutions for correcting existing leaks, roof replacement and ongoing maintenance solutions. With over 45,000 roofing installations to our credit you have the assurance that your roof is in expert hands.
For professional flat roof maintenance or repairs call Avenue Road Roofing at 416-785-5129 or fill out our estimate form.