Green Roof Conversions Can Be Funded through Grants from the City of Toronto
There has been a heightened attentiveness in recent years, particularly in major urban centres such as Toronto, to being more eco-conscious and more vigilant about protecting and nurturing the local environment. New standards have been introduced, for private residents and industries alike, to reduce waste, harmful emissions, and other pollutants
One of the main initiatives has been an emphasis on converting rooftop space into green roofing. In fact, in 2014, the City of Toronto was ranked in the top five markets within North America for its green roof conversion rate.
A green roof is usually defined as a roof surface that supports the growth of vegetation over a significant area or square footage, with the prime intent being the conservation of water and energy. The composition of a green roof, from the base to the upper surface, consists of the following:
- Waterproof membrane
- Water drainage layer
- Soil or growing medium
- Vegetation/plant life
There are several benefits to installing a green roof when constructing a new building or to converting an existing roof surface to this more eco-friendly format. These benefits can be seen through their environmental impact as well as in financial/economic terms.
- Environmental Impact of Green Roofs
- Better management of storm water run-off
- Reduction of pollutants entering drainage systems
- Measurable improvements in overall air quality
- Moderated temperatures/reduced urban heat
- Reduction in overall greenhouse gas emissions
- Absorption of sound/reduction of noise pollution
- Enhanced biodiversity within the local ecosystem
- More use of existing space for urban agriculture
- Financial Benefits of Green Roofs
- Natural insulation – lowers heating and cooling costs
- Higher property values (based on energy efficiencies)
- More curb appeal/attraction for commercial interests
- Extended lifespans for heating and cooling systems
- Longer life for roofing materials (return on investment)
To capitalize on these benefits and to further encourage the proliferation of green roofs, the City of Toronto instituted an incentive/grant program in 2009 to help building owners fund such installations or conversions. This is known as the Eco-Roof Incentive Program and it offers support for eligible green roof projects in the amount of $75.00 per square metre of roof surface, up to a maximum of $100,000.00.
Green roof grants are available, upon approval of a formal application, for buildings with the following uses:
Click here for additional information on green roofing grants from the City of Toronto.
Avenue Road Roofing Turns Underutilized Roofing in Toronto into Green Roofs
Buildings with flat roofing in Toronto are obviously ideal candidates for converting this space into green roof environments. Since a majority of these flat roofs represent space that is underutilized from an occupancy or functional perspective, it would be prudent for these property owners to at least consider whether converting to a green roof would be a viable option.
The green roof specialists at Avenue Road Roofing can provide valuable insight in this regard. With extensive flat roof experience, as well as an emphasis on supplying green roofing for homes and commercial properties throughout Toronto and the GTA, Avenue Road Roofing has the expertise to effectively implement every stage of the conversion process, including:
- Removal of the existing roof
- Designing the new green roof
- Sub-structure engineering/construction
- New roof installation and maintenance
- Incorporation of any special features
- Budgeting and project completion time
Visit our green roof grants page for additional information on the conversion of underutilized roofing into elegant and vibrant green space by the flat roof professionals from Avenue Road Roofing.
Wondering if converting to a green roof is a feasible alternative for your existing flat roof space? Call the green roof installation specialists from Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 to discuss whether this option is right for your property.