When homeowners are contemplating a significant investment in their home or property, it is important to weigh the initial costs of that expenditure against estimated or required maintenance expenses over the lifetime of that investment. When both the immediate and long-term costs are considered, homeowners may be willing to invest more money upfront in order to save, reduce, or prevent ongoing upkeep or replacement costs.
One such consideration would apply to an investment in vinyl or aluminum siding for your Toronto home. Siding installation or replacement can provide many long-term benefits to homeowners relative to:
- Low maintenance
- Energy efficiency
- Aesthetics/curb appeal
Opting to install one type of siding over the other is often a matter of taste or personal preference. However, there are some differentiating factors between aluminum siding and vinyl siding, with a few based on seasonal weather conditions in Toronto.
The following comparison may prove helpful when deciding on aluminum or vinyl siding.
- Available in a variety of colours
- Will likely need to be painted at some point to refresh the colour
- Aluminum can be painted at any time to change the colour
- Not affected by weather changes/temperature fluctuations
- Waterproof and heat resistant/fireproof
- Resistant to pests and mold
- Can be a good insulator
- Relatively maintenance-free
- Will likely need to be washed to keep it looking fresh
- Cannot be painted – colour may fade over time
- Can expand and contract in relation to seasonal temperatures
- May become brittle after prolonged exposure to cold temperatures
- Less susceptible to weather damage – resists dents and scratches
- Energy-efficient – particularly in relation to upgrading older homes
With respect to the cost of siding installation or replacement, this will depend on:
- The choice of siding material
- Installation time (labour)
- The amount of material required (square footage)
- Any potential costs for disposal of existing materials
Deciding When Siding Replacement Is A Better Option Than Renewing Its Appeal
If your home already has siding, you may eventually be faced with the decision to renew its look (paint it or wash it accordingly), to replace specific panels, or to invest in a full replacement. Based on the nature of the siding material and the length of time that it has been exposed to the elements, you will need to examine the reasons and the costs for renewal or partial replacement against the dollar outlay for a complete siding replacement.
There are several factors/situations when siding replacement, contracted to a leading roofing company in Toronto such as Avenue Road Roofing, would be the best option:
- Age – resulting in brittleness, colour fading, and/or loss of resiliency
- Storm damage – affecting the appearance and/or functionality of the siding
- When precise colour matching of new versus existing panels is not possible
- When the cost of renewal (painting) is disproportionate to replacement costs
- Impact damage – from ladders, baseballs, dislodged gutters/downspouts, etc.
- For aesthetic appeal – to improve the look and value of your home
For professional and expert siding installation or replacement for your home, call the specialists at Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 to arrange your no-obligation consultation or contact us to obtain a free estimate.