Roofing Shingles serve two essential purposes for homeowners:
- Protecting the occupants from the elements
- Providing visual/curb appeal for the home
By nature of these functions, fading of roofing shingles over time is virtually inevitable. While a change in visual appearance may be less worrisome to homeowners in general (unless you are planning or preparing to sell in the near future, how many times do you really pay attention to the actual colour of your roof?), fading shingles can also be a sign that a roof replacement is imminent.
There are several factors that may contribute to the fading of your shingles:
- General exposure to ultraviolet rays from the sun
- The orientation of your roof – certain exposures are more vulnerable
- The original colour – fading is more noticeable with darker shingles
- Severe weather swings in Toronto – heat, cold, rain, ice, snow, winds
- Improper ventilation – the restriction of air flowing through vents and intakes can cause shingles to overheat, thereby expediting the fading process
- Lack of protection from shade
In turn, any signs of fading may be indicative of the need to replace your roof because your shingles:
- Have simply aged to a point where replacement is due (or overdue)
- Have become dry and/or brittle and may be subject to breaking/chipping
- Are no longer effective in moderating temperatures inside the home
- May be failing in their role of preventing leaks in your roof
With the arrival (finally) of some better weather in Toronto and the GTA, this may be a good time to inspect your roofing shingles for signs of fading, and to take appropriate measures as required to ensure the protection of your home and your family.
Use A Professional If Roof Replacement Is Needed As A Result of Fading Shingles
If you determine that your roof needs replacement (for either functional and/or aesthetic purposes) as a result of fading shingles, you may decide to do the work yourself or call upon the services of a friend or an independent/private contractor. While this may be a more economical approach, it can have serious repercussions in terms of warranties on workmanship and materials, not to mention proper installation and your personal safety.
In addition, the Avenue Road Roofing experts are fully qualified to handle every facet of roof replacement to ensure that the shingle manufacturer’s warranties are preserved.
- Removing the existing roof/shingles
- Correct installation of the new shingles
- Proper ventilation to prevent premature fading of the new shingles
- Structural considerations to avert excessive condensation under the roof
If you are worried about fading roofing shingles on the roof of your home and contemplating a roof replacement, call Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 to arrange a consultation with one of our experienced estimators.