From a homeowner’s perspective, it is unfortunate that the lifecycle of roofing shingles is not the same as the lifecycle of the home itself. Imagine never having to worry about repairing roof leaks, roof stripping, replacing brittle shingles, or dealing with any other type of roofing problem.
However, due to constant exposure to the elements, and the extreme seasonal weather swings in Toronto, a roof will need to be replaced on a regular, albeit extended-period, basis. This is especially true for roofs covered with asphalt shingles which can become brittle over time, in turn leading to more serious roofing issues if they are not replaced.
If a homeowner has no concerns with heights in general, climbing a ladder, or walking on a roof, there is a simple procedure that can be used to test for brittle shingles:
- Pinch a small corner of a shingle between your thumb and forefinger
- Try to fold or bend that corner up to a 90-degree angle
- If that small corner snaps off rather than showing some pliancy, the shingles are likely brittle and the roof is probably due for stripping and replacement
Another way to check for brittle shingles will be presented if any shingles are found in the yard or driveway after a storm. While this is a clear indicator that some damage will need to be repaired at minimum, using the above procedure may prove that a full roof stripping and replacement is in order versus isolated repair work only.
Other Factors To Consider In Determining Whether To Repair Or Replace A Roof
Depending on the type and extent of any damage to asphalt shingles, you may be able to contract a roofing company in Toronto to complete some specific roof repairs rather than fully stripping the shingles and replacing them entirely.
Situations in which repair work only may be in order include:
- Moss growth restricted to a localized area – simply have the area cleaned
- Shingles lifting because of loose or missing nails – can perhaps be refastened
- Storm damage to a specific area of the roof (due to hail, ice, falling tree limbs)
Conversely, there are circumstances when a full roof replacement should be considered:
- Curled shingles – are becoming brittle and nearing the end of their lifecycle
- Age – any time after 14-15 years and certainly when approaching 20+ years
- Large sections of missing shingles – possibly brittle from years of exposure
- Widespread and abundant moss formation – especially if it is under the shingles
- Missing granules – heavy collections in gutters; dark or bare patches on roof
- Signs of water damage (interior/exterior) – more extensive than what is visible
- Buckling shingles – indicative of improper installation and/or poor ventilation
To ensure a thorough and accurate assessment of the condition of your roofing shingles, you may wish to call upon a professional roofing firm, such as Avenue Road Roofing, to complete a roof inspection and prepare a detailed summary of their findings and any subsequent recommendations. Avenue Road Roofing has extensive experience in the installation, repair, stripping, and replacement of asphalt shingles, and you can be very confident that they will provide high quality materials and workmanship in all instances.
To arrange an assessment of the condition of your asphalt shingles, call Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 or contact us to begin the process of determining if a complete roof stripping or replacement would be the more appropriate solution.