A Properly Installed Eavestrough System is Central to Good Home Maintenance
Routinely inspecting and maintaining the roofing system should be given priority attention, along with another vital component of the roof – its eavestrough system.
The eavestrough system consists of horizontal gutters, customarily attached to the fascia boards, plus vertical downspouts that usually drain water into underground porous pipe (weeping tile) and ultimately into the sewer system. This drainage of run-off water from the roof is most important in keeping a home in top condition for the following reasons:
- Prevention of leaks and cracks in the foundation due to water damage
- Protects against erosion of soil or landscaping near the base of the home
- Guards exterior masonry to avoid any work or siding from mud stains as a result of splashing
Therefore, from the perspective of curb appeal, and more importantly that of preserving the integrity of the foundation, a properly installed eavestrough system plays a pivotal role in maintaining a home in optimal condition.
When choosing the type of eavestrough system for a home, there are several options:
- Aluminum – lightest and most economical
- Steel – in galvanized or pre-painted finishes
- Copper – for an elegant and prestigious look
In most cases, the choice of material will be dependent on several issues/considerations:
- Age of the building
- Pitch/slope of the roof
- Budgetary considerations
- Availability of colour options
- Amount of maintenance required
- Roof size/anticipated run-off volume
Based on the sheer number of potential variables, homeowners may wish to consult with roofing contractors that have extensive experience in installing all types of eavestrough systems. One such contractor is Avenue Road Roofing, a firm that has been providing roof and eavestrough installation and repair services in Toronto for more than 40 years.
Choose Wisely When Looking for a Contractor to Install a Roofing System
Due to the critical importance of a well-installed eavestrough system (and overall roofing system), due diligence should be used in selecting a roofing contractor. Unfortunately, eavestroughs and downspouts that are poorly installed will likely result in inadequate or ineffective water drainage, thereby leading to expensive repairs for any affected areas of the home such as the foundation, the masonry or siding, and/or the roof itself.
In assessing the merits of various roofing contractors for their eavestrough installations, homeowners should ask and/or investigate the following:
10+ Questions for Choosing an Eavestrough Installer
- How long has the company been in operation? What is their area of expertise?
- What is their familiarity with various types of eavestrough installations/materials?
- Are their eavestroughing materials provided by reputable, well-known suppliers?
- Will the roofing contractor provide a detailed estimate or price quote in writing?
- How soon can they schedule the job? What is the estimated completion time?
- Will they provide client references and/or demonstrate examples of their work?
- What is their process for approving any unanticipated actions and/or costs?
- Are installations done by in-house teams or handled through sub-contractors?
- What warranties or guarantees are provided on materials and workmanship?
- Does the company have workplace insurance and general liability insurance?
Homeowners should not be shy about obtaining at least three or perhaps four estimates before deciding on the right contractor to hire for their eavestrough system installation. Investing a little extra time and research into various contractors will allow homeowners to make a more informed decision about how they will spend their money.
Avenue Road Roofing is most willing to provide all estimates in writing and welcomes any and all questions from prospective clients. For more information on the eavestrough installation services provided by the team from Avenue Road Roofing, please click here.
If you are interested in replacing your eavestroughs but uncertain about which type of system would be best for your home or business, call Avenue Road Roofing today at 416-785-5129 to request a quote or to schedule a consultation with one of our installation specialists.