There Are Several Warning Signs Pointing to the Likelihood of Roof Leak Repair
Most motor vehicles have the capability to notify the driver/owner of a potential or actual issue with their engine; such situations are often indicated through a message or symbol that appears somewhere on the dashboard. Unfortunately, in many of these cases, the problem might be developing for some time before the warning light comes on, and thus the engine damage and its repair can often be more extensive than hoped or anticipated.
There is a parallel scenario here with respect to roof leaks. By the time a homeowner or business owner detects evidence of a leak, water may have been penetrating the roof for quite a while; in turn, extensive damage might have already occurred beneath the roof surface, and the resultant repair can again be rather costly. Furthermore, water has the tendency to travel, so to speak, hence making roof leak detection more difficult in terms of determining the actual cause or source of the problem.
There are however, several warning signs that a roof is already leaking, or that it might soon be leaking if the property owner does not take appropriate actions or precautionary measures; these indicators would include:
- Missing, damaged, or loose shingles, tiles, membranes
- Loose or damaged flashing around chimneys or skylights
- Withered, cracked, or missing caulking around the flashing
- Blocked gutters or downspouts (including ice dams in winter)
- Moisture/condensation in the attic (due to inadequate ventilation)
- Ponding or standing water on the surface of commercial flat roofing
- Protruding and/or rusted nails on the surface or underside of the roof
- Rotting and/or dark stains (mold, mildew) on the wooden soffit or fascia
- Water stains, discolouration, or mold growth on interior walls and ceilings
- Collection of debris in angled spaces or around skylights that inhibits drainage
- Exposed mounting holes (from removed satellite dishes) can lead to a roof leak
- Wet floor around fireplaces or in the basement, especially after heavy rain storms
In some instances, the source of the roof leak and the point of water entry might be one and the same; this would allow the property owner to try and repair the problem on their own, depending on their self-confidence and comfort with working at heights and/or on a pitched surface.
If property owners are not of such a mind, or if the roof leak detection process is proving to be more challenging, they might want to call on the services of an experienced roofing contractor such as Avenue Road Roofing to perform a comprehensive roof inspection and isolate the specific source of the problem. Subsequently, the Avenue Road Roofing team can recommend the best course of action to remedy the situation quickly and efficiently.
Regular Roof Inspections Can Prevent Extensive Roof Leak Damage and Repair
To paraphrase a common expression, a little precaution/prevention before a crisis occurs can help avoid considerable after-the-fact effort and unnecessary costs.
This figure of speech can certainly be applied to roof leak detection and repair services in the sense that property owners should not wait for explicit evidence of a roof leak before having their roof inspected; in other words, there can be substantial benefit to detecting the possibility/likelihood of a roof leak and addressing or correcting the problem before it becomes a larger issue.
Avenue Road Roofing has more than 40 years of roofing experience throughout Toronto and surrounding area, including countless roof inspections for residential and commercial properties. Property owners who have invested in this inspection service can attest to its value with respect to:
- Protecting the integrity of the roof system
- Extending the lifecycle of their roofing material
- Preventing unnecessary roof leaks and repair costs
- Averting possible insurance claims or property devaluation
- Avoiding personal injuries or damage to contents and property
In order to maximize this protection and its potential benefits, it is highly recommended that property owners consider semi-annual roof inspections – specifically spring and fall; accordingly, this can help to address or perhaps prevent such situations as a roof leak in times of heavy rain/high wind or the inconvenience of a leaking roof in the winter.
For more information on the roof leak detection and repair services provided by Avenue Road Roofing, go to our Roof Leak Repairs page.
If you suspect or have evidence of a roof leak in your home or commercial property, Call the roof inspection and repair experts at Avenue Road Roofing at 416-785-5129 today or Contact us to schedule an onsite inspection at your earliest convenience.