Sheet Metal Roofs Can Add Complexity To The Installation Of A Skylight
When thoughts turn to the subject of skylight installation, some may instantly assume that this is work usually done in the shingle roof of a private residence, while others may picture this as the prominent feature in the lobbies of a hotel or a condominium complex. In reality, however, skylights can be incorporated in many types of structures, including those with sheet metal roofs.
In general, skylight installation can provide a number of benefits for residential and commercial property owners:
- Energy savings – lower heating and electricity costs
- Personal comfort – soothing warmth and defuse light
- Adding aesthetic appeal/accent to a room or entrance
- More unobstructed light penetration vs vertical windows
- Opportunity to enjoy the beauty of nature while indoors
Skylight installation can be accomplished as a do-it-yourself project, although the task can be a somewhat more challenging venture than other types of self-installation jobs. This is notably the case when working with sheet metal roofs, as the skylight will need to be curb-mounted (or raised) rather than flush-mounted as seen with shingle roofs.
To begin, in addition to the customary compliment of a hammer, drill, tape measure, and screwdrivers, a specific collection of tools and materials will be required. These items include:
- Circular saw
- Roofing nails
- Metal snips
- Lengths of wood
- Utility knife
- Angle brackets
- Window seal tape
On the assumption that the site has been selected and all necessary measurements have been taken, the major steps for skylight installation would be:
- Cutting the opening for the skylight
- Interior – drill a small hole to mark the center of the opening
- Exterior – cut out the actual opening with a circular saw (metal-cutting blade)
- Preparing the frames needed for curb-mounting
- Attach a 2”x6” frame along edge of the opening (screws), rising 2-3” over roofline
- Attach a 2”x4” frame to the skylight (roofing nails), cut to fit over the curb-frame
- Applying window seal tape
- Place seal tape on the sheet metal surface around the perimeter of the opening
- Similarly seal along the edges/any openings of the skylight – and check for leaks
- Securing the skylight frame to the curb-frame
- Fasten frame on the skylight to the curb-frame extending above roofline (screws)
- Apply caulking along the top and bottom edges of the frame – inside and outside
- Install proper flashing around exterior of the frame – caulk all edges and seams
Although installing skylights in sheet metal roofs can be performed with the proper tools, inclination, and patience, the above process should be indicative of the complexity of such work and the precise measurements needed to obtain an adequate and effective seal. For peace of mind, property owners may wish to defer to those with the necessary expertise in both skylight installation and working with sheet metal roofs, like the team from Avenue Road Roofing.
Factors To Consider For Skylight Installation In Sheet Metal Roofs
While skylight installation provides economic, health, and aesthetic benefits, there are inherent issues that must be addressed to complete the project properly and effectively, particularly when working with sheet metal roofs. The factors that must be taken into consideration include:
- Accurate measurements for cutting the precise opening in the roof
- Guarding against unwanted roof damage during the cutting process
- Ensuring the security/integrity of the curb-frame within the roof structure
- Safeguarding against water and air leaks (to prevent mold or ice damage)
- Proper installation of flashing
Our roofing experts have the experience required to address the above considerations and eliminate the issues inherent to skylight installation in sheet metal roofs.
Want a skylight installed in your sheet metal roof? Have peace of mind that the job will be completed efficiently and effectively by contracting the installation services of Avenue Road Roofing. Call us today at 416-785-5129 or contact us to benefit from our expertise in skylight installation for all types of roofs.